Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Being a White Girl in China

Alright, I'm going to preface this post by saying I've never ever felt afraid or threatened while traveling in China. But I have felt uncomfortable. And I have felt awkward. And I definitely have been angered.

This summer, I've been taking this international studies class on examining and navigating different cultures. A part of that was examining how women are treated in different cultures. Some of my (female) classmates interning in parts of Africa or Southeast Asia have had some pretty scary/threatening things said to them. No one (to my knowledge) has been hurt, but the differences in the ways women are treated were pretty astounding. We looked at how these students reacted to the situation, how that reflects our different cultural backgrounds, and tried to be reasonable. There are no easy answers to women's rights around the world. Some things are deep rooted, and to a certain extent, lasting change must come from within a culture.

That being said, the I've been reflecting a lot on my personal experiences from this summer and last summer. For instance, I realized that I've never gone into a Chinese bar without at least one other American guy. If I need to ask directions, I will almost always ask an older lady or a college-age girl. At my internships, I've talked to female coworkers much more than male coworkers. And when I do public outreach events at the consulate, there is always a small group of male students who I desperately wish would stop talking to me.

Like I said, I've never been threatened... but I have been propositioned. Lots of times. And most of the time, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

It's okay, they are just drunk, eventually they will get the point and go away. That was a little strange, but maybe he was just trying to be friendly... English isn't his first language, he probably meant nothing by it. Walk a little faster, and hopefully you can cross the street and avoid this pack of guys. Keep your head down, don't react. Where do I live? Oh, just an apartment over there, but I've got some work to finish up before heading home... Would I date a Chinese guy? Well, I already have a boyfriend... yes, he is back in the States... No, I don't think I need a boyfriend in China.

Added up, I realize that I spend a great deal of time in China feeling uncomfortable. It is lots of little things; a group of men staring as you walk to work, questions about how free (read: loose) American women are, its the assumption that girls don't study math and science because they just aren't as smart as men, the hyper-feminized imagery in Chinese media, and the way in which taxi drivers ignore me and listen to a male coworker. It is this grating force in the background of my Chinese experience. It isn't the worst thing that has ever happened, but it definitely contributes to my struggles here.

Right or wrong , feminist or not, this is the reality. I don't want to scare anyone off... truly the vast majority of Chinese people are wonderful and friendly. This is an amazing country, and I have had two fantastic summers. But, I do want people to be aware. Things aren't nearly as bad here as in some other places, but it is the little things, day in and day out, that make the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment